Tuesday, July 2, 2013

Dogs like poop





They produce it. They sniff it. They probably eat it. And they roll in it... And what does that make me?? An incredibly pissed off momma...Poppy already drives me madly insane where the temper that I have controlled most of my adult life easily rears its ugly head. And, trust me, nobody wants to see momma pissed off.

So why do these mangey mutts insist on being the grosses and the cutest things in the world? Well, here is what I found...

1. Dogs don't like to smell nice and clean like we like them to.

2. An interesting theory, that is both sweet and utterly disgusting: wild dogs may have rolled around in smelly things to “tell” their pack mates where they’ve been and what they’ve encountered in their adventures. It’s his way of saying, “Hey, smell where I’ve been!”

So..what in the H*LL can we do about this wretched behaviour? (Ps. my computer auto corrects lots of words because it thinks I'm in England. That's where some weird spellings are coming from)

1. Remember that this is a natural behaviour (Don't pick your dog up by the scruff of its neck and toss it into the bathtub like a dirty toy)

2. Don't punish this behaviour (...seriously?)

3. Associate this behaviour with a bad experience (isn't that kind of like punishing). Apparently there are citronella collars that give of a spray by remote control. Interesting. Looks like the range anywhere between $35-100.

Basically, I am screwed because I have no fence and I am surrounded on two sides by un-improved, forested lots...awesome. Sometimes I just think Poppy really enjoys taking a bath everyday.



No comments:

Post a Comment