Thursday, October 3, 2013

Behind the Glass

As I have done probably hundreds of times, I went in to shower and brought the girls with me. I set them on the floor where I could supervise them throughout the duration of my shower. I made this one quick, but when I shut of the water, I decided not to come out. I leaned my back up against the glass and slid down. There I sat. I pressed my face up against the glass and just sat there. There they were. Babies under the age of 2. Playing with the toys I had set out for them, slapping their hands against the tub and toilet, climbing on top of the toilet and climbing in and out of the bath tub. They took equal turns coming to visit me. They pressed their faces up to mine and slapped the glass next to me. I stayed put. They couldn't get me. In that moment, I couldn't decide who was the animal in the glass cage... Me? Or them?

I stayed.

It wasn't until the girls started playing peek-a-book with my robe, which was looped on a precariously hung hook on the back on my door, that I beckoned the girls to calm down.

Adrianna immediately came over to the glass where I sat, opened her arms wide and hugged as much of the glass as she could as she cooed, "awwww..."

I got out.



1 comment:

  1. It's nice to have the time to do something like this...
    Dad

    ReplyDelete